A chronic, non-healing wound is one that does not heal in six to eight weeks with traditional wound care. More than 5 million Americans suffer from non-healing wounds, which can cause serious infections, illness, and loss of limb. Everyone experiences wounds at some point in your life, but most heal on their own with proper care. To ensure your health and safety, you should learn to recognize the causes and symptoms of non-healing wounds. Look for these signs:
- Persistent, increased pain in the area of the wound
- Discoloration of the wound near the edges of the wound – often a dark or bluish color
- Increased drainage from the wound
- Redness or swelling around or spreading away from the wound
- A foul odor coming from the wound
Our wound care team will determine the appropriate therapies for you and recommend a course of treatment. Treatment options may include surgical procedures, pressure therapy, dressings, and hyperbaric oxygen therapy, which has been found to be a useful adjunct to healing for a variety of ailments.